Monday, September 12, 2011

Elf Hats in the Garden

This post is not really about elf hats in the garden, but I thought it was a fun way to start.

I have been plugging away on a sweater made of Mohair and Silk.  The yarn is lovely, but it is a bit of a slow go.  And sometimes I have a short attention span when it comes to projects like this.  So I start another.  Which partially explains why this particular sweater is such a slow go.

Anyhoodles, I started another gnome/elf hat sometime last week with leftovers from another project.  I need to make the case that I am running out of yarn, before I can buy new.  The Sweetie is starting to give me funny looks when he sees I have snuck more yarn home from the store.  (I don't really think he understands how this stuff literally calls out your name and jumps into your bag!).

This is an elf hat.  I think the last one was a gnome hat.  I've decided that elf hats are pointier  and taller than gnome hats.  It's my game and I'm making up the rules, darn it.


This picture was taken right after I finished felting it and placing it over a jar to dry.  Isn't it the cutest thing?  I just love making these.  They are so much fun.

I asked the Sweetie if he wanted another hat.  He told me I had already made him a hat, so he was good on that front.  I just don't get that.  Aren't scarves and hats like shoes.  It's OK to have many?  Once this dried, I asked if he would try it on.  He liked it!  Goofy point and all.  So now the Sweetie has a new hat.  And it makes me smile, because it is so silly in a not so silly world.

Another topic (ahem, read short attention span).

Here is my first red Roma tomato and cucumbers from my garden.  Yes, I know it's after Labor Day.  Apparently the garden thinks it's late July.  The only reason I have one truly red tomato is because we've had a week and a half of warm weather.  I'm talkin' temperatures in the 80's, kids.  Yup, the 80's.

Aren't they pretty?


I have a lot of these.


And a few of these. 


Let's see, for dinner tonight there's traditional fried green tomatoes with corn meal, tomorrow we will have tempura fried tomatoes, the next night buttermilk battered fried tomatoes...

Here's my butternut squash.  I'm not certain I will see the butternut color before frost comes.


I should know better than to attempt to grow tropical plants in my Northwest garden.  Silly, silly me.

Ta ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment