Sunday, May 22, 2011

A little focus... please

I'm not complaining.  Really, I'm not.  I'm just tellin' ya how it was...

Yesterday, I couldn't seem to stay on task if my life depended on it.  Anyone who has known me for more than 15 minutes would know that I am a pretty focused person.  As I type this, I can see my mom and  sister snorting.  'Pretty focused' is a bit of an understatement.  We are a family who enjoys self-deprecating humor.  If we don't poke fun at ourselves, others will.

If I take a small excerpt from my day, it took me 20 minutes to get out the door to take some items to the dry cleaner.  Here's how it went down:

I put the dry cleaning items into the bag. 

Then I looked through the closet to see if there was anything I'd overlooked.

Hmm.  There's a suit I hadn't worn in a couple years.  Oh yeah, because I had worn it to death.  Should I give it away, or throw it away?  The elbows of the jacket are shot, and the trousers are not much better.  I should throw it away.  Wad up the suit, set it on the bed.

Where's my jacket?  It looks chilly.  Is it chilly?  Go outside to check it out.  Gosh, I really need to weed and my bok choi is bolting.  Go inside and get my jacket. 

Where are my keys?  Wallet?  Phone.  Wasted a good 5 minutes looking around for those.  OK, so the thing about that is that I always put those items in the same place.  I hardly ever spend time looking for them.  Except yesterday.

In the bedroom looking for my keys I move the suit from the bed to the dresser. Still no keys.

Oh, gotta tell the sweetie I am heading out.  Down the  stairs I go.  Walk past the washer.

Hmm.  I really should put a load of sheets in to get the laundry started.  Back up stairs and strip the bed, being careful not to dislodge one of the Unusually Helpful Helpers who was taking a nap.

OK, the wash is going.  Now where are my shoes?  Should I wear the waterproof tennis shoes for the 3 block walk to the dry cleaners or my Keens?  The calendar says it's spring even if the temperature does not, so I go with the Keens.  They are waterproof - sorta.

Found the keys.  Where is my phone?

The entire day went like that.  Seriously.  The. Entire. Day.  Aside from putting clean sheets on the bed I honestly cannot say I completed a single task.  I started about a hundred.

When I relayed  my adventure to the Sweetie on the way to the Sounders game, he said it was likely I had too many things to do in a short period of time and couldn't decide where to begin.  The really funny thing was, that we were on our second route to the game because traffic was all crunched up (at 6:30 on a Saturday evening!).

Perhaps today will have a better outcome...  Although the Sweetie has already me away twice to watch highlights from the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment