Monday, May 30, 2011

Vintage Crochet Scarf and Hat - Finished!

Thank goodness I have listed gardening as one of the subjects of this blog.  Because that seems to have been my only topic of late.  I was feeling a smidge guilty about that for a little bit.  The thing is that weeds wait for no one.  You either spend time outside pulling them before they set seed or you spend a lot of time later when they multiply and spread. 


I have snuck in a few non-gardening projects, but they have moved along sooo slowly I have not blogged about them.


Friday evening I put the finishing touches on a  hat and scarf set.  I blogged about the scarf here.  But then it went into a black hole.  Not really, I just didn't blog about it.  I couldn't bring myself to commenting on "I added two more rows and they look fantastic".  That seemed silly, even for me.

So here is the finished product.

At first I wasn't sure how I wanted to finish it.  I thought tassels on the bottom of the points might be cute.  The pattern  added scallops around the edges.  Maybe I could give it a try and if I didn't like it, I could rip it out and go with my original idea.  Well, the scallops were totally cute, so no tassels.

I really wanted to make a hat next.  You might remember this pattern was for a baby blanket - not a hat.  I decided to add one more repeat of the main pattern and make a large rectangle.  Then I would add ribbing and and cinch the top together.  If it was too small I could always add a couple more rows to the body of the hat and ribbing.  Seemed pretty easy.


I used the tutorial written by Attic 24 for seaming the body of the hat and the ribbing.  It worked very well, and I think it will be more secure than if I stitched it together with a needle.  It also resulted in fewer ends to weave in.

The sweetie thought it needed a little something, so I added a tassel.  Good idea.  I think it turned out to be really cute.

Here is the set together.  Awwh.


Now I am on the hunt for some cute crochet mittens!  This has been a very fun project.  I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment