Monday, May 2, 2011

New Crochet Project - Vintage Crochet Scarf

Hi.


I didn't blog yesterday. 


I thought about it, but it was just too nice to be inside.  It was sunny and in the 60's.  Yup.  Like only the second or third time this year.


Hmmm.... Blog or putter in the garden.  The garden won.  It was fantabulous.  (Fantastic + Fabulous = Fantabulous.)  I am very sore.


So, a couple of weeks back I started a new crochet project.  Likely when I should have been doing something else.  Like vacuuming, or making dinner, or something.  Crochet is such a great procrastination thing for me.


Any who.  I am using a pattern I picked up from Churchmouse Yarns and Teas on Bainbridge Island last summer.  My folks had come over for a visit from WI and we stopped in Winslow before dinner with my in-laws.  I found this really cute pattern called Vintage Crochet Blanket.


Here's the image from their website.  I fell in love with how graphic it was with only the two colors.  There is a 10 color version, but that didn't say 'buy-me' in the same way.


Vintage Crocheted Blanket


The pattern had been languishing in a notebook, until I rediscovered it recently.  I had tried to start it once or twice last summer.  You know, just testing out the pattern with some stash yarn, but it wasn't meant to be.


So, a couple of weeks ago, I just happen to find myself at Acorn Street Yarn  (which is walking distance from my house!!) and I found just the stuff.  5 skeins each of  Baby Alpaca D.K. by Plymouth Yarn in red and black.  I never intended to make a blanket - just an scarf - so I tweaked the repeat to adjust for the narrower width.


I am happy to report that this pattern comes together very quickly.  Changing colors each row is a bit of a pain, but that's drama of my own making.  I mean, if it was really that big a deal I should have selected a different pattern.  I know, right?






So at last measure, Saturday, it was 7 inches wide and 43 inches long.  But I have worked on it since then.


I don't think I will end up using all 10 skeins so my next idea is to make a hat to match.  The stripe will go vertically, with black ribbing, and a pom pom.  It should be great!


This blog is supposed to be about trying new things.  With this post I think I took a giant step backward.  I mean, I 'm making a scarf - again.  And using Alpaca - again.  Maybe next project..


Now, onto more mundane things - like re hemming a pair of pants for work that seems to have 'come undone'.   But I am blogging instead - my second best procratination tactic!  

No comments:

Post a Comment