Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day everyone.  Somehow I had forgotten it was this weekend.  In my brain, it was next weekend.  The Sweetie reminded me on Thursday morning. 

"Gah!  This weekend!  Really?" 

I had a present all picked out.  It just wasn't in the mail and needed to go half way across the country.  The Sweetie told me they now have a kiosk at the Post Office to send packages 24/7.  Sort of a self-serve thing.  He said it was great as there were no lines to wait in any longer.  Of course, he was sharing this because it would be easy for me to mail the package after work.

With a tiny bit of pleading the Sweetie mailed the package for me.  Hadn't he just told me how easy it was?  I am happy to report, it arrived on Saturday... just in time.  Thank you, Sweetie!  You're the best!

The last several weekends, since we returned from Hawaii have been spent on yard work.  According to the folks at the local nurseries it was a hard winter in the NW.  Just enough outside of normal for folks to lose a lot of plants.  Although, I think they say that every year.

I have dug up and replaced more shrubs that I really care to think about.  My yard waste container has been super duper full each week.   I have my fingers cross that the last two will pull it out.  A variegated Azara, an evergreen tree that lost all of it's leaves (not a good sign). 

This photo I pulled from the web (see the reference on the pic).  I would show you mine, but it's just a bunch of small  bare twigs at this point.  I did see some tiny, tiny buds, so I am hopeful.

Click to Enlarge

And a Chilean Fire Bush, also evergreen, and also lost all it's leaves.  This one will break my heart if it doesn't make it.  I have nursed it along since the seedling stage.  It's fairly difficult to source, and I hate to think about replacing it. 

The photos below are from Annies Annuals.  In May this tree should be covered with fire engine red flowers and is a humming bird magnet.  Mine has not yet bloomed, too young I think, but I have been long looking forward to the day it does.

Embothrium coccineum “Chilean Fire Bush”

Aren't the flowers stunning?

Embothrium coccineum “Chilean Fire Bush”

The rest of the garden is slowly coming together.  I'll see if I can take some pictures to post soon.  It's not the hot mess it was earlier in the season. I think I am down to clearing moss and weeds out of the beds.  The bright green growth of new leaves and tulips make everything look better.  I even planted most of my pots yesterday, which makes everything look even more cheery.

Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment