Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gardening Day

I think today will be a day to get out into the garden.  Even if I need to dodge a few rain drops.  I have been thinking about it for some time. 

We had some lovely sunny afternoons this past week and I could have gone out in the early evening to catch up.  Especially now that it is light well into the evening.  But Tuesday evening I felt the tickle of a head cold.  And by Wednesday morning it had officially arrived.  My nose was running like a Midwestern river in the spring.  And sneezing.  And my throat hurt.  And my ears hurt.  Whiner.

I have a little mantra I tell myself when a cold arrives.  "10 to 14 days.  If it's not gone by then you can call the Dr.  You can survive most anything for 10 to 14 days."  It almost always works.  I seldom go to the Dr. with a head cold.  And frequently the worst part lasts less than 10 days.

I laid low for a couple of days and I think the worst part is behind me.  It's still there, but more in the background.

I had purchased some primroses a week or so ago and need to get them into the ground.  I love them.  They are like plant sunshine - so bright and cheerful.  They provide such high contrast to the dark, wet soil.  There is something wonderful about grocery store primroses.  10 for $10.  That's happiness that will last all spring.  Seems like a pretty darn good investment.



We had a bitter cold snap right around Thanksgiving last year and I think some of my shrubs did not survive.  I've snapped some of the twigs and the wood is brittle and dark, not flexible and green.  Not a good sign.  Some of them were original to the front garden installation so they were pretty good in size.  It will be a project to dig them up.  A muddy project.  I may be insane to think this is fun.

Ya know, I could fritter away the entire morning tweaking this post.  Adding pictures, taking more pictures.  I will never get outside at this rate.  Love you, but I gotta run... 

No comments:

Post a Comment