Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pluggin' Away

I am pluggin' away again on the City Tracks (with a link to the blog) quilt.  I have taken over the dining room while the Kidlet is home. 

I pieced together a back.  The primary color is black.  The batting is a bamboo/cotton blend.  (More on the materials when I finish the project.)  And of course the pieced top.  I am doing straight line quilting this time using two variegated threads.  I thought they might look cool on the back.  I haven't decided if I like it or not.

Perhaps I should caveat a few things.  I have love/hate relationships with my projects. 

I love the project that lives in my minds eye.  It is perfect. 

I love the pattern - if I draw one out.  My projects frequently never make it that far. 

I love the fabric once selected.  Stacked together I think they are gorgeous. 

Things are generally good in the piecing process. 

Laying out the quilt can go either way - love or, well not usually hate, but often less in love. 

Sewing the blocks together  - not love.  At this point I begin to have serious doubts. 

I love pieced backs.  They are made from left over pieces or fabrics from the front.  The pattern is much simpler, usually high contrast. 

Quilting - again, I love the picture in my mind's eye.  The process, not so much as this is a point where doubt begins to creep in again. 

I enjoy binding.  Don't ask me why, it makes no sense, I just do. 

Then a little bit of clean up - stray threads, burying start/stop points.  Finally, the finished project and I am back in love.

So this current project is right on target in the love/hate cycle.  I adjusted the quilting pattern a bit as the un-quilted center of each block seemed too large.  I wasn't sure how well it would hold up to wear and washings in the long term.  Added additional rows a bit off center.  I'm not certain I'm finished with this idea yet.



I love the high contrast of the back but I'm not going to reveal all of my secrets just yet. The thread color is showing off the quilting pattern nicely, but I'm not sure about it being variegated.  The trying new things part of this is fun though. 

I may have also reached the limits of my point and shoot camera.  This may also be factoring into the love/hate quotient.  Even after fussing with the settings this image is not accurately reflecting the depth of color in the backing fabric.  It is a rich, deep black.  Flash on.  Flash off.  Natural light. Overhead light.  Low light setting.  Indoor light setting.  Auto setting.  Nothing seems to capture it just right.  I even read the manual. Of course, the grey Northwest day would not be a contributing factor.  Of course not.


 
The batting is creating fuzzies everywhere.  Perhaps this always happens and I am only noticing it on dark, solid colored fabrics.  I ran the lint roller over this before I snapped my pic.  This is not a quilt for a home with a cat named Snowball.  Just sayin'.

Pluggin' away...  I hope to have it finished yet this weekend so I can photograph it.  This is a two person quilt - too big for just the Sweetie.  I have checked with the Kidlet and he is willing to help hold the quilt for it's big reveal and he helped with some location ideas.  There is a deadline as he needs to head back to school no later than Sunday.  Monday, the new quarter begins.  It has been nice to have him around.  We might not see him again until June.  That seems like such a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment