Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer, At Last

I hope you had a fabulous 4th of July holiday.  The weather was very, very nice here, which seldom happens on a holiday weekend.  Sunny and in the uppper70's.

So you might think I have given up on quilting, crochet and knit projects.  Not true.  I have finished three projects recently.  A wool silk scarf with a lace crochet edging.  My very first knit project, which the Sweetie adopted.  Silly, silly man.  It must be true love.  And a knit hat - to go with the scarf.

OK.  I lied.  Quilts are on hold for a little bit unless I get a cold, yucky, rainy day.  It's just too nice to stay inside.

Sunday I also began a knit sweater with Kid Seta (mohair and silk).  It is light as air but a real pain to work with given my lack of experience on knitting needles.  This particular project is going to be slow going.

But much of my time has been devoted to the garden.  As my mother-in-law said this weekend.  It seems like she is always weeding.   Weeds have their seasons too.  As soon as you clear one out, another one takes over. 

Saturday was spent in the front yard.  I think with a couple of small, albeit time consuming tweaks, I am down to just maintenance for the balance of the summer.  That feels pretty good.

This coming weekend will be devoted to the back yard.

Here are some pictures I took last weekend.

Blooms on a potted nine bark.

This spirea is covered in bumble bees.

The neighbor's Portuguese Laurel hanging over our back fence.  This evergreen tree is covered with blooms right now, and fills the air with a sweet scent.  There is a gorgeous specimen at the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Garden.

The plant world's version of fireworks.

The bees crawl love this penstemon.  I love that this one has dark purple foliage.

Non-garden project updates next time, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment