Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chair Covers - Part 2

One focus of this blog (aside from being a socially acceptable means to talk to myself) is to try new things.

For the chair project I am using batiks, khaki, and machine applique.

Many fabric stores have big sections devoted to batiks.  Lot of quilters are devoted to these fabrics.  Until now, they really have not called my name as I walk past.  But here's what I have recently learned.  They are a tight weave.  They hardly fray at all in the wash.  No, snarly gob of threads at the cut ends!  They appear to be the same on the front and back unlike most print fabrics.  Hmmm, all of these folks have figured something out and I am just late to the party.  Typical.  A blue and green found their way home with me from the shop.


Next, I am using khaki.  Not one of my go-to colors - which is blue, for all things.  I'm not even sure I own a pair of khaki colored pants - or if I do, they don't fit.  But this Carolina Chambray was just the right color for the dining room.  I'm game, I guess.  I was cautioned that this fabric does fray and I would be wise to do a quick fold over hem to keep that under control.  Good advice.  I will also zigzag around each piece before I start quilting as this is my base fabric.

Next, I've been wanting to try machine applique.  I've been eyeing some of the cool quilts and pillows at the Don't Look Now blog.  She is a master at this style of quilting and her stuff is seriously cute.  She offers a tutorial on her blog, but I was chicken to start this technique on a big project.  A chair cover is not big, so it seemed like just the right sized project 

Next, I had to lay out my design and figure out how many leaves I would need to applique.  Um about a gazillion.  No, seriously.  By my math, there are 96 leaves per chair, time six chairs.  I think I may be ready to be institutionalized at the end of this project!


Check in for the next installment for the answer to "Is she working from home or the local funny farm?"  I can assure you the Sweetie thinks I should already be tucked into the funny farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment