Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tutorial: Irish Lace Pincushion Part 1

How to make the center Rose

Download the pattern instructions here:  http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/115358.aspx 

Purchase recommended supplies:

I tried the size hook recommended in the pattern but found the thread kept slipping off the hook.  For this tutorial I am using a 1.25mm hook which I already had on hand.  If I make this again, I might move down to a 1.0mm hook. 

This style of hook is available by Clover.  The very fine (a.k.a. tiny) hooks are called 'steel'.  They have regular and steel hooks in this handle style.  I've found it to be much more comfortable and easier to grip than the more narrow aluminum styled hooks I learned on.  It costs a little more, but was well worth it, to me  It's a personal prefence thing.  Please, use what feels best for you.


Tip:  I found it helpful to work this through on yarn to begin.  It was larger and easier to see what I was doing.  It also has more stretch and is faster to work up.  Once I was comfortable with the yarn version, I moved to the thread version.

Row 1:  This pattern begins by chaining 7, closing the loop with a slip stitch to make a ring.  Folks, there's this thing called the Magic Ring which is so much easier for any crochet project that begins with a center ring. 


Next, single crochet 16 stitches into your ring.  It should look like this when you are finished.


Row 2:  Follow the pattern instructions.  Be sure to connect your chains into every other single crochet.  It should look like this.



Row 3.  Follow the pattern instructions.  Here is the finished row of petals.


Here is another image to help illustrate scale.  Pretty darn cute, but pretty darn small.


Row 4:  The rose is created in layers.  Row 4 begins the second layer.  Much of this row is worked from the back of the piece.  The instructions say to "Ch 6, sl st in back of work between next 2 petals".  Here's what it looks like from the back. 


The petals of the rose stack one directly on top of another, so it is important to make certain to insert your hook in the right place.

Once you have created the chain loops for the second layer of petals, it is important to count and make certain you have 8.  Because this is so small it is easy to accidentally skip a petal.  It's easier to fix that now than later - trust me.

Row 5:  Work according to the instructions.  This is where you 'fill in' the second row of petals.  I found it easier to work from the  front, holding the first row of petals out of my way.  Here's how that looks.


Here's what it looks like when you are finished with the second row of petals.  This side view shows the two layers.


From the front.  See how the layers stack directly on top of one another?


From the back.


Rows 6 & 7:  These are essentially repeats of Rows 4 & 5.  Here's where you insert your hook to make the chain loops for row 6.


Once you complete the chain loops, double check to make certain you have 8.  Here's a view from the back side of Row 7.  The pins are just to hold the petals down for the photo. 

Row 7 has more double crochets in each petal than Row 5.  When you are finished with Row 7 it should look like this, with 3 distinct layers.

Another view from the top.  Note how all 3 layers are lined up, one on top of the next.


This is the end of Part 1.  I hope it was successful for you!  If you have questions or comments just send me a quick note.  I would also like your feedback on how I could make this pattern easier to understand.

Next is Part 2 - the Network.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment