Monday, April 11, 2011

New Quilting Project - Chair Covers

Hi.  Me again.

I've recently begun a new project to create seat covers for the dining room.  When the Sweetie asked if they should be called chair cushions.  I said, "Sure, but I'm not sure how much cushion there is."  The Sweetie is skinny and may be looking for cushions.

We have ladder back chairs we purchased shortly after we moved into our house 20+ years ago.  They have rush seats, which is essentially twisted grass.  Surprisingly, they lasted 20 years.  But after the Kidlet, cats, many dinners, and years of homework at the dining room table, they were starting to wear out.  It would be really bad to have someone fall through (pause to visualize), so we had them re-rushed (not sure that's a word, but I'm goin' with it).  The cost to have them repaired was nearly as expensive as the original purchase. Yikes!  I have no plans to do that again any time soon.


Yes, we know we have two different chair styles.  Our decorating style can (ahem) be best described as eclectic. But I digress.  Hey, but don't those  new rush seats look nice!

The Unusually Helpful Helpers (Jupiter and Max) discovered shortly after the chairs returned from the shop that these were fantastic scratching posts.  I just don't think so.  Our short term remedy (um, nearly a year now) was to place old napkins over the chairs.  Presto!  This worked.  The Unusually Helpful Helpers weren't interested in them once the rush was covered.


The napkin trick worked, but once you leave the table they frequently look like this:


And more frequently like this:


Not exactly projecting the swanky high class establishment vibe we've been going for.  Just kiddin'.  

So I drew up a design (I just love graph paper!), which is loosely styled after the wallpaper above the chair rail.  I calculated the yardage needed. 


And head off to the fabric store where these lovelies were just waiting for me to pick up and take home.  Funny how fabric just jumps into your handbag!


I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment