Monday, April 25, 2011

Mohair Scaft - Finished!

I finished this project a few weeks back.  Before I knew it I was onto a couple of other projects and never celebrated the end result.  I seem to have more than project in the works at any one time.



I am very pleased with how this turned out.   It's about 12 inches wide and 6 feet long- yes, feet.  I'm a "wrap a scarf around twice" kinda gal.  I also like a long 'tail' on scarves I wear.

Here's what it looks like with a short neutral colored grey jacket.  Sorta gives it a little zip.   I think this could easily be dressed up or down.



Mohair is a yarn that can drive some folks nuts when worn directly against the skin.  I personally wear this type of item with a white cotton blouse with the collar turned up.  Because it's long, there's plenty of room to wrap it loosely so it never falls directly on skin.

It was super easy to make.  These are just 2", 4", and 6" granny squares.  I laid them out in this pattern.



What would I do differently?  Not too many things.  I used three different yarn types for this project - some from my stash from prior projects.  Mohair, mohair/silk, and silk.  They were not the same weight and each worked up a little differently.  I was able to adjust the silk by adding an extra row around some of the squares.  The dark purple was the heaviest yarn.  Next time I would try to find that color in a weight more similar to the others. 

I had my patterned nailed down, but not my color layout.  Had I sorted out the colors I could have joined the pieces as I worked and that would have saved a lot of time! 

Oh well, lesson for another project I guess.

Now onto the next...

No comments:

Post a Comment