Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Irish Lace Pincushion - New Project!

I recently began a new crochet project.  Something small.  Something to learn new skills.  Something I should be able to bang out in a day or two.


I found this super cute (free) pattern on Crochet Me and Ravelry. 



I mean, just how darling is that!


All I needed was a new crochet hook and the recommended thread, which for once didn't cost a fortune.


This hook is twice the recommended size of .60 mm - which I purchased.  Even so, I have hangnails larger than this hook!  By the way, this style hook is made by Clover and is the most comfortable I have ever used.  I no longer use the narrow aluminum hooks.  These are a little more expensive, but to me, well worth it.



My Grandmas had made Irish and fillet lace doilies, pillow slips, and dresser scarves by the dozen. 


Just how hard could it be?  Our grandmothers and great grandmothers used to make large tablecloths, and bedspreads, and curtains.  All without the aid of the Internet, and digital photography, ergonomic crochet hooks.


Ta Da!!! Isn't that the loveliest image... ever?  My efforts resulted in a snarly, snarky crochet birds nest. 

So I ripped it out and tried again.  And again.  And again.  Finally, I switched to yarn so that I could better see what the heck I was doing.  More hooking.  More ripping out.  Wasn't this a project I was just going to bang out in no time?

I read the pattern directions word by word - over and over again.  I made notes. I made changes.  I diagrammed the pattern.  I think I finally got it. 

The result?  I plan to post a 4 part tutorial on how to make this little stinker.  Part 1 will be the Rose.  Part 2 will be the network or background work - which is the part I had the most difficulty with.  Part 3 will be the leaves.  And finally Part 4 will be the edging.

This will be my first tutorial, so hang in there as I work out the technical details.  And if you're brave enough, try it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment