Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day One

Hi.  Welcome to the first day of my blog. I find myself at a crossroads.  One chapter of my professional career is ending and another waits to be written.  In the space in between I have rediscovered a crafty part of me that I had squashed deep down inside while I focused on 'more important things'.  What I have rediscovered is that while a career can help fill one's tummy, crafty arty things help fill one's soul.  This blog is about that journey of rediscovery, with celebrations and speed bumps along the way. 

Here's a recent project...

I just finished crocheting a scarf made from baby alpaca.  It is a heavy, soft, soft, soft yarn.  It just feels yummy to the touch.  For me the test for a yarn is how it feels when you rub it against your cheek, just like a little kid.  This stuff is glorious!

I will post the photos just as soon as I download them from the camera - which I am only beginning to learn to use.  Learning photography will definitely be part of the journey and I am hoping over time to see marked improvement from my early attempts.

I attempted to block it over this past weekend but it seems to be reverting back to it's wavy ways.  I think I didn't wet the yarn enough to hold it's new shape once dry.  No biggie.  I will just give it another go.

I bought the yarn at Acorn Street Yarns in Seattle.  It's walking distance from my house.  It was a snowy day and that almost always triggers the need for a new crochet project in my brain.  Once at the shop, this yarn just screamed out my name - perhaps the colors, or the heft, or the wonderful softness.  They have so many lovely yarns that I spend a lot of time circling the isles attempting to narrow my choices.  The owner and staff are all super helpful which is great as I almost never walk into the store with a clearly defined project or pattern in mind.

I used a chevron pattern from Basic Crochet Stitches edited by Erika Knight.  This is my go to book for crochet stitches.  My favorite thing about this book, in addition to the swatch photos and clearly written instructions, are the stitch diagrams.  For me, the crochet jargon becomes more clear with the diagrams.  I wish more pattern instructions included this approach.

That's it for now.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment