Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Project

One of the things I enjoy most about crocheting is its portability.  I mean unless you are making a afghan it is pretty easy to drop a ball of yarn or two along with a hook into your bag and off you go.  I loved to bring projects with me when I travel, pre-WiFi, on airplanes.  A crochet project, and iPod and I was rocking happily along for a couple of hours.

I began a new project today.  The idea has been rattling around for a little while.  Inspiration came from a couple of images on the Purl Bee Blog.  I love that I can go to NY without leaving the comfort of my living room. 

But I digress.  The first image was of a granny square.  Yup, the old crochet standby.  Only this one was made out of what appeared to be orange mohair.  It was lacy, fuzzy, and well, just lovely.  Not like the acrylic clunkers I recall seeing on the back of everyone's sofa while growing up.  Then there was an image of a small blanket called Babette.  It was made of different sized granny squares puzzled together like a mosaic.

Finally the last inspiration came from a crepe scarf I already own.  It looks fabulous with a light grey suit, lavender belt, and dark purple suede pumps I own.  I really like the color scheme and it is outside the palette I am usually drawn to (code: no apple green).  Then I realized I already had some of the yarns.  A skein of purple Giselle, a mohair blend, and a skein of lavender Zephyr, a silk and wool blend.  Just how lucky can a girl be?



I made up a square with the Zephyr yarn with a G hook.  I flattened it out a bit and looked at it.  Hmmm.  Not to bad - especially when I consider that I never crochet anything loosely.  I liked it more because I was out of my usual comfort zone.  (Mom, you must be proud!)



So, perhaps a pattern might be a good idea.  For good or bad, I often work without a pattern.  And the results are mixed, as you might expect.  Duh.  I am by nature a planner, at least at work, and have no idea why I launch into projectsat home with so little planning.  Perhaps rebellion or more likely a personality quirk.  Anyhoo, today I pulled out a piece of graph paper and penciled a little something out.  Ta dah!



Now, don't go thinkin' that I have this planning thing in the bag.  While the pattern is narrow and could easily be a scarf, it could morph into a small throw, or pashmina type wrap.  And a real planner, might have used colored pencils to lock down the color placement

Just need to round out the rest of the color palette and it's off to the races.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment