Sunday, February 6, 2011

A New Quilt

Awhile back I purchases two charm packs from Moda - called Punctuation.  At the same time I purchased two yards solid cream colored cotton.  I had no specific plan but I knew I would use it someday. 



I love modern fabrics and patterns, but am also drawn to vintage pieces as well.  I have two vintage tops to quilt - stories for another day.  One was picked up in an antique mall in Wisconsin and the other belongs to my great grandma.  They are bright and both use muslin as the background fabric.

Inspiration struck a couple of weeks ago.  I saw a super easy way to make triangles from squares on the Internet.  I had never worked with triangles before and it looked like fun.  Each charm pack had 42 - 5" squares.  By making triangles with the cream colored fabric I had 84 triangle sets.  Times two made 164 sets, with a little bit of cream squares left over.  Certainly that should be enough for something, right?  Then the project sat.


Yesterday, I began to play around with pattern layouts.  No real plan in mind as usual.  Just fiddling around until inspiration struck. I stumbled upon a pattern that I liked on the first try.  I mean really, how often does that happen?  The result was something like Trip Around the World, but with triangles.  I really liked it, but of course working without a plan, realized I was a bit short in certain colors - red and and black. 


At this point I could have reconfigured the pattern to something else, but no.  Back to the store.  Two more charm packs and two more yards of cream fabric... and here's the result.


This project had taken over much of the floor space in my sweetie's home office for two days.  I knew I was pushing my luck as he had to tip toe around all of my carefully laid out pieces each time he went to his desk.  One's patience for that sort of thing is generally short lived.  Now the rows have been numbered with painters tape as not to lose the order and picked up.  They are now waiting in a pile for their turn to be pieced - once I finish the procrastination project.

Different topic:  It was a rainy, foggy, drizzly morning here in Seattle.  Pretty typical of winter here.  Not quite real rain and more than fog.  Locally we call this 'Seattle Mist'.  Umbrella's are not overly effective as the fog-like qualities cause it to swirl around under umbrellas.  Skipping the umbrella is not a great idea either.  One can get soaked to the skin in pretty short order without fisherman or mountaineering styled rain gear.


  Good day to stay inside and work putter around on 'stuff'.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment