Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

I am a bit of a kook when it comes to laundry.  One day each week I like to have it all done.  For me, working full time, that day is often Sunday. 

When I say done I mean done, done.  Everything washed, dried, folded, and put away.  No socks lurking under the bed.  No damp towels hiding.  Done. 

It has also meant bedding changed and remade.  To me, freshly washed sheets and a nicely made bed is heaven.  Especially when you need to get up early for work the next day.  There's just something about fresh sheets.

As I wax poetic about laundry, you might think it's something I enjoy.  Hah!  Not so much.  It's a chore, I've turned into a game - at least in my own mind.  The game is to have it all Done before the sweetie and kidlet sneak another dirty item into the laundry basket.  I am pleased to announce, in a perverse way, that I win more often than I lose.  I get to wear an imaginary tiara and the unofficial title of Laundry Princess for the rest of the day.  It's certainly easier now that the kidlet is in college, but I still don't always win. 

So what has laundry to do with Valentine's Day?  I was cold.  It is winter after all even here in the NW.  I was in the laundry room waiting to transfer a load of laundry - ah, yes, such a glamorous life.  In the dryer was a fleece jacket.  We have a lot of fleece around here.  Anyway, I took the jacket out of the dryer, put it on and zipped it up.  It was wonderful.  Warm and soft.

And I really thought it felt like a warm hug from the sweetie.  Happy Valentine's Day, Sweetie!

To get ready for the day I made some felt valentines filled with lavender from last summer's garden:


They are super fun to make and cute, cute, cute.  I drew up some valentines on graph paper, cut out some felt and stitched them up with a blanket stitch.  I also added a ribbon to hang them  - leaving my options open.  

Some of the felt came from earlier projects, some was left over from a pool table, some I purchased at Nancy's Sewing Basket in the Queen Ann neighborhood.  If you in the area you should plan to visit.  They have amazing fabrics.  Including cashmere on the bolt.  Why they don't wrap themselves up in cashmere all day I will never know.  Don't even get me going on the Ribbon Room.  It is one of my favorite Seattle stores.  Love, love, love it.



The valentines could be stuffed with something else or left flat if you wished.

I like that each valentine can be different.  This one reminds me of the Button Blankets made by the Northwest Coastal tribes.

A quick little project.  And they make people smile, which is a great feeling. 

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment