Monday, February 21, 2011

So Close

Sometimes the karma gods do not smile in your direction.  Ever have days like that?

I was zooming along on my free motion quilting project.  I had just over a quarter or so yet to go when Kablamo!  My shiny new free motion quilting foot broke - the one I had purchased just a couple of days ago.  The little metal thingy that rests on the needle screw broke in half.

So I take it back to the store.  Wouldn't you know it, that was the only one they had in stock.   Karma.  They need to email other stores in the area to see if one is available.

The nice young women assisting me asks if I brought in my machine.  Karma whammo.  No I did not.  "Well,' she says, 'if you bring in your machine we can see if another foot might fit."

Back home.  Pack up the machine.  Back to the store.  The same young women helps me again, trying on a number of different shanks, feet, and what nots.  Alas, the only one that fits is the one that broke.  It's special order time (karma), if none of the other stores has one in stock.  They will call me.

I have a Husqvarna 150E.  Not known to be a high powered quilting machine.  It is nearly 22 years old and has seen it's share of use.  I'm not ready to give it up just yet.  I'd need to research and test drive new machines and figure out a way to justify the expense to the Sweetie (who is beginning to think this is a very expensive hobby).  Also, this one was a wedding present.  It has sentimental value and works reliably much of the time.  I guess though, it is becoming increasingly difficult to locate parts and accessories 'for these older machines'.

"Older!?  What does that make me!?", she says is her most outraged, indignant voice.

Arrgghh!  I was so close to finishing.  And now I am so disappointed.  Karma.

The silver lining is I had cut out pieces for the City Tracks quilt, by Cherri House, yesterday.  This quilt in her new book, City Quilts, is variations on red, black and some purples.  My fabric selection is more in the blues.  I love the simple almost Amish quality to a number of quilts in her book.  For me the blues fit into that aesthetic.


I'm not sure if the apple green or yellow work just yet.  (I just love apple green.)  I'll just have to see how it plays out.  I think I might have lunch and test the patience of the karma gods with this new project....

No comments:

Post a Comment